A huge thank you to everyone who joined in DIA’s first annual Dimond Shine Day on March 26. Judging from the number of volunteers, the accomplishments, and the smiling (if tired) faces, it was a great success for the community.
More than 140 individuals participated, including many families and youngsters. Together this is what we did:
- Collected 53 bags of litter and 25 bags of green debris
- Weeded and mulched 37 tree wells
- Painted 18 lights poles and planters
- Cleaned 12 mosaics
- Removed graffiti, tags, and stickers in more than 70 locations
Dimond Shine efforts also extended before and after the event, with these added accomplishments in the commercial area:
- EBMUD repainted six fire hydrants
- City of Oakland replaced or repaired 16 trash cans
- DIA contracted power-washing of six blocks of sidewalks
Check out photos from the day.
Even if you missed the big event, you don’t need to miss out on the satisfaction and community camaraderie of hands-on work for the Dimond. Occasional and regular opportunities abound: Litter walks every Wednesday and Saturday, graffiti removal most Saturdays, tree or planter “adoption” for watering, and lots of other one-off or ongoing “greening” activities. Email email@example.com and tell us your interest–we’ll find a perfect fit!